We believe we have the opportunity – and responsibility – to help build a better future.
The Syncrude Joint Venture Project, operated by Suncor, is proud to invest in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, where our employees work and live, through donations and sponsorships to local community organizations that seek solutions and benefits for all.
Whether it’s investing in local infrastructure, stocking the food bank, or opening the doors to learning, we are committed to making a difference in the region.
How we provide assistance
We provide donations and sponsorships that focus on supporting four focus areas:
- Community: Foster a strong, vibrant, and sustainable Wood Buffalo community, and help attract and retain a skilled workforce in the region.
- Education: Support development of current and future workforces with enhanced skills and knowledge to support oilsands operations and the community’s labour needs.
- Health, Safety and Environment: Protect the quality of life and wellbeing of residents and the environment in the region.
- Indigenous: Encourage thriving Indigenous communities, and thereby provide opportunities for our Indigenous neighbours who participate in the benefits of oil sands development.
In assessing requests for donations and sponsorships, we look at several factors including:
- Whether the organization requesting the support is either a provincially registered non-profit or a federally registered Canadian charity.
- Degree/level of benefit to the community/ region and understanding of community needs.
- Degree/level of collaborations with other organizations and multi-stakeholder groups in the region.
- Indication of sound and measurable strategy and objectives and milestones to address community needs.
Ineligible organizations and projects
The following organizations and/or initiatives are not eligible for Syncrude community investment:
- Individual pursuits or research
- Religious organizations or cultural initiatives that are for the benefit of the membership or faith community only
- Political Parties/candidates (except as permitted under the Relationships with Government Application Guidelines)
- Lobby groups
- Labour organizations
- Private or Charter schools
- Home school programs
- International relief funding
- Private Clubs funded through membership fees
- Research Chairs
- Organizations in a conflict of interest with our business
- Requests for funds after the planned event to offset budget shortfalls