Industry leading safety and environmental performance
(Fort McMurray, Alberta) Syncrude’s commitment to sustainable development is once again highlighted in its third annual comprehensive Sustainability Report.
“Syncrude has long recognized that communicating with our stakeholders is critical to the success of our business,” said Syncrude CEO Charles Ruigrok. “Syncrude’s performance demonstrates its commitment to both responsible development of the oil sands and to healthy and prosperous communities.”
The report outlines how Syncrude is living up to those commitments through a detailed discussion about the economic, social and environmental impacts from its business activities.
Highlights of the report include:
- World-class safety performance with a lost-time injury frequency rate of 0.11 per hundred person years, 1/25 of the Alberta average rate.
- Record annual shipment of 87.2 million barrels. The previous record was 83.8 million barrels set in 2002.
- Regulatory approval of Syncrude?s Emission Reduction Project, which will help Syncrude reduce total sulphur dioxide emissions by 60 per cent from current levels.
- Overall benefits to the Alberta economy approached $4.1 billion including $107 million to aboriginal business.
- Record land reclamation of 653 hectares bringing to 4,055 hectares, the total of land reclaimed since 1978.
- Total water withdrawals from the Athabasca River of 30.6 million cubic metres, Syncrude?s lowest withdrawal since 1990.
The report can be viewed at Syncrude’s website at www.syncrude.com. Copies can also be requested by calling 1-800-667-9494.
The Syncrude Project is a joint venture operated by Syncrude Canada Ltd. and owned by Canadian Oil Sands Limited, ConocoPhillips Oilsands Partnership II, Imperial Oil Resources, Mocal Energy Limited, Murphy Oil Company Ltd., Nexen Inc., and Petro-Canada Oil and Gas.
Trading Symbols for Public Syncrude Joint Venture Owners
|Canadian Oil Sands Trust |
(via Canadian Oil Sands Limited and Canadian Oil Sands Limited Partnership)
|ConocoPhillips Oilsands Partnership II|
(wholly owned by ConocoPhillips)
|Imperial Oil Resources||IMO-TSX/AMEX|
|Murphy Oil Company Ltd.||MUR-NYSE|